Lagos State government has said that it would prosecute a 19-year-old man, Orji Ifeanyichukwu Victor who was alleged to have set his 24-year-old girlfriend, Alabi Tolani Maria ablazed.
Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) who disclosed this yesterday said he has directed the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) to take over the case file of the suspect from the Police for diligent prosecution.
Victor was arrested on Saturday by the operatives of the State Police Command from Iba Police Station for allegedly setting Mariam ablazed.
DSP Bala Elkana, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), disclosed this in a statement released to newsmen on Monday.
Elkana said the incident took place in Ojo, Lagos, where they both lived in Ifeanyichukwu’s N600,000 per annum apartment
The suspect who resides at G54 Army Post Service Housing Estate, Ojo, Lagos was arrested after setting his girlfriend ablazed on Saturday because he suspected that she has another lover.
According to the statement, the suspect had confessed that he used petrol to set the victim ablaze. The victim died during treatment at Igando General Hospital in the early hours of yesterday.
While speaking with press men on the achievement so far recorded by the Ministry and different strategies being adopted to tackle issues of prison and court decongest ion, abuse of human rights and others, Onigbanjo said nothing touched citizens more than their security and justice whenever they seek for it.
He said the current administration is no longer waiting for victims to report to authorities on issues bordering human rights.
He said the trend in Lagos now is to go after violators in other to see that justice done.
“As a cosmopolitan city, we recognize the need to ensure that law and orderliness are kept. It is this administration’s agenda to clamp down on criminals, land grabbers and other trouble makers to reduce crime and all forms of security threat to the barest minimum.
“This administration has zero tolerance for criminals and we would also ensure that the poor and downtrodden in the society have access to justice through our agencies”, he said.
In line with the resolve of the state government, Onigbanjo said his ministry intervened in a case of encroachment on land of an elderly couple at Ejigbo whose video went viral on social media.
Onigbanjo disclosed that 35 land grabbing cases are presently being prosecuted in courts and that they are hopeful that justice would be served without hindrance to serve as deterrent to other land grabbers.
He said: “the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) handled 1,636 cases, 600 petitions out of which 245 were concluded; 141 judgments have been obtained, over 30 children rescued and total compensation of N8,103,567.09 was received on behalf of clients by the OPD.”
He said the Directorate of Public Prosecution received 212 duplicate files for legal advice and 164 have been issued and dispatched.
He said the remaining 48 could not be treated because of request for further investigation by the Police.
He further disclosed that in the last two weeks, 94 plea bargaining applications have been treated adding that the introduction of the system has reduced the time spent on criminal cases towards achieving prison and court decongestion.
He said in the next quarter, the state will commence payment of compensation to victims of crime but stressed that the defendant will bear most part of the payment of such compensation under restorative justice system.
He said that in the coming year, a number of bills will be presented to the state house of assembly to be passed into law.
“In the coming years, particular attention will be paid to law and order and legislative reforms. We have a whole lot of laws in the pipeline. Laws are made to provide proper guidelines and order upon the behavior for all citizens and sustain equity on three branches of the government.”, he said.