It’s a case of no sinner would go unpunished as President Muhammadu Buhari has directed relevant agencies to do everything possible to arrest those behind the “regrettable” attacks on some villages in Benue State.
–Benue indigenes protesting
The President gave the order on Wednesday in a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu.
He also condoled with the state governor, Mr Samuel Ortom, over the reported killings, injury of several persons, and wanton destruction of property in Guma and Logo Local Government Areas of the state in the New Year.
-A victim of the attack by herdsmen
President Buhari he was immensely sad at the “wicked and callous” attacks on even innocent children.
He, however, assured Governor Ortom and people of the state that the security agencies would put adequate measures in place to avert further attacks.
“This is one attack too many, and everything must be done to provide security for the people in our rural communities,” he said.
“One of our pledges to Nigerians is that we will ensure the safety and security of lives everywhere in the country. We will keep this promise.
“Let me assure that security agencies are working to arrest those behind the regrettable attack in Benue State, and prevent further attacks.
“As I promised in my New Year’s Day Address, we’re stepping up our interventions not only to combat crime and violence nationwide but also to ensure that culprits are swiftly and severely punished.
“My condolences to the Govt and people of Benue, and the families of the victims,” the President also said on Twitter.
He further commiserated with families of the victims and wished the injured speedy healing.
The Presidency issued the statement hours after hundreds of youths staged a protest in Makurdi to condemn the alleged killing of at least 33 people by herdsmen in Benue.
The angry youths stormed the popular Food Basket Roundabout in Makurdi on Wednesday, causing traffic obstruction for motorists travelling through the state capital to the north and southern regions of the country.
Earlier, Governor Ortom had called for more proactive measures to tackle the incessant killings of innocent residents in the state.
He said he was troubled that the suspects were yet to be apprehended despite promises made by the security agencies.
“My worry is where we are told that these people will be apprehended and they are not. So far, we have not seen anyone.
“These people come with sophisticated weapons, they come kill, slaughter people, and do all kinds of havoc that at the end of the day, no single one of them has ever been arrested in this country,” he had said.