There are clear indications that the Deputy National Chairman of All Progressive Congress (South-West) Chief Segun Oni may emerge top in the All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship primary election scheduled for today Saturday 5 May 2018 in Ado Ekiti, the state capital.
Findings show that the viable politician is well ahead of other aspirants in popularity among the delegates that are to decide who clinch the APC ticket for the governorship election slated for July 14, 2018. Here are the analysis of the major factors that put Segun Oni ahead.
1. Road Construction: During his first tenure as Ekiti Governor, Segun Oni built good roads and rehabilitated many township and feeder roads in his Roadmap programme. He relaid the foundation of good roads making after the Western region and Awolowo / Adeyinka Adebayo days. He touched every nook and cranny of Ekiti in the Roadmap projects. His road legacies to abound all over Ekiti State for people to see.
2. Several housing and office complexes such as the Irewolede Housing Estate on Ilawe road, many buildings at the State Secretariat Complex and the Storey Buildings adorning our Primary and Secondary Schools today are part of Segun Oni’s good legacies in terms of housing and and office provisions for Ekiti people.
3. Provision of Lockers and Chairs, Textbooks and Exercise books for Primary and Secondary school students free of charge.
4. He is the first Governor to give Laptops to Secondary school students in Ekiti
. 5. He is the first person / Governor to give Free JAMB Forms with Free Coaching classes to Secondary school leavers in Ekiti.
6. He was the first Governor to implement the Free School Feeding Programme of an Egg and Tea per day for Primary and Junior Secondary pupils in Nigeria.
7. He established the School-based Entrepreneurship programme of Bread making, etc. Many secondary schools in the State, particularly those with boarding system, were producing their own bread and other useful things, for internal an for public consumption.
8. He reintroduced the Boarding System in Secondary schools for students to be more serious with their work and also get better care.
9.He gave sustainable Scholarship and Bursary Awards ranging from #50,000-1.5M to all Ekiti students of higher institutions, at all levels: OND, NCE, to Ph.D, home and abroad.
10. He sponsored several higher institution students on International studies. Over 60 youths are even being prepared presently, for training in Portugal soon.
11. In the area of Employment, Chief Segun Oni as a Governor employed over 4000 graduate youths apart from other low level workers into Teaching and the Civil service without discrimination on party affiliation; while several others were employed into the Local governments through his Chairmen.
12. Chief Segun Oni empowered several people in Ekiti, such as Artisans (Bricklayers, Mechanics, Tailors, Hairdressers, etc), Farmers, Market men and women, Drivers, Okada riders, etc, through his popular Interest free Microcredit loans scheme.
13. Salary of civil and public servants were paid on the 22nd of every month.
14. Pensioners were paid their gratuities within 60days of retirement and completion of their documentations; while their monthly pension is paid regularly with that of the civil and public servants.
15. On Electricity and Water supply, Segun Oni bought 250 transformers which came shortly after he left office and which his successor in office, Dr Kayode Fayemi distributed and commissioned as his first100 days project.
16. Another of Chief Segun Oni’s legacies also, is his honesty, selflessness and virtue of high level integrity. In spite the high level conspiracy to controversially remove him from office MOVES
Governor in his first term, he left Security Votes running into several millions of naira in his office for Dr Kayode Fayemi, who was the beneficiary of his controversial removal; despite advice from his aids to cart away the money unchallenged. Segun Oni refused to take the money, saying that the money was not his, but that of the incoming governor then (Dr Kayode Fayemi, who ousted him controversially) to use and stabilize with. What a large hearted and selfless man?
17. Apart from his selfless and honest virtue, another legacy of Segun Oni, is the legacy of high level humility, compassion and forgiveness; otherwise, how could he have supported Dr Kayode Fayemi, the beneficiary of his ouster from office for another term after completing his first tenure. Not minding the troubles he went through in the hands of his successor as Governor, Chief Segun Oni still went ahead and gave Dr Kayode Fayemi all the support he needed to became governor again for the second term then. What a magnanimous man he is. *His Proposed Socio-Economic Blueprint*: The foundation of Chief Segun Oni’s Economic Blueprint, will be based on
1.Honesty, Prudence and Good governance. 1. With honesty, available resources will be prudently managed and channelled to the right projects and programmes that we benefit Ekiti people and improve their livelihood.
2. Available resources will be geared towards productive and progressive ventures for economic and societal gains.
3. Productive agricultural ventures, small scale industrial and entrepreneurial projects will be encouraged and promoted to empower the people, provide jobs and improve IGR.
4. Wastes will be minimized and all channels of economic loss will blocked.
5. Jobs will be created in various sectors to diversify the economy and make the people feel secured, etc.
6. Youth Empowerment will be a priority, because they are the leaders of tomorrow, the future of the state and nation and the ones who will drive the economy.
7. Our Women would be encouraged more than ever before in the areas of their businesses and participation in governance, as they are our mothers and good managers.